2019 Habitat ReStore VISTA
- (Summary) Help us provide families with stability, shelter, and self-reliance. Our ReStore VISTAs will make an impact by enhancing the ReStore’s volunteer, marketing, and donation programs.
- (Program Description) Established in 1976, Habitat for Humanity operates in 1,400 communities across the United States and in 70 countries around the world. Our vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live: we bring people together to build homes, communities, and hope.
Established in 1998, Chicagoland Habitat for Humanity is a support organization for 8 Habitat affiliates located in Cook, Lake, McHenry, Kane, DuPage, and Will counties. We manage regional initiatives that increase revenue and reduce costs. Our goals are to raise awareness, grow capacity, and serve more families.
ReStore VISTAs will live near and serve at one of our eight affiliate locations. After assessing the current volunteer, marketing, and donation programs and researching best practices around the USA, VISTAs will develop, implement, and gather feedback on enhancements to the three programs. Assist with grant applications and feasibility of additional ReStores if appropriate. Create manuals and a transition plan.
We seek technology savvy college graduates who are adept in all forms of communication. We need organized team players who have the ambition to move a ReStore from good to great. We provide training and guidance; you provide energy and ingenuity; and together we will strengthen our affiliates and increase their capacity.
VISTAs will learn that focused efforts can have a wide impact. Chicago has a reputation for sultry summers and challenging winters but working for Habitat will open your hearts and minds to the joys of helping families in need. VISTAs at our various locations will connect with each other regularly, visit the different sites, and attend regional trainings and events.
VISTAs will serve a full year starting in August or September. We will try to place VISTAs in their preferred county, but we have just one position at each affiliate office.
For more information, visit our website or email our recruiter.
- (Member Duties) VISTAs will have four objectives.
- Assess the current volunteer, marketing, and donation programs; identify best practices being used by other ReStores; communicate findings to the ReStore Manager and other staff; and gain further direction on ways to move forward with enhanced programs.
- Based on the information gathered and guidance provided, develop and document enhancements to the Restore’s existing volunteer, marketing, and donation programs.
- In collaboration with ReStore staff members, implement and gather feedback the enhanced plans. If appropriate, help determine the feasibility of adding another ReStore, and help draft grants and track grant applications.
- Create manuals and a transition plan for the enhanced volunteer, marketing, and donation procedures.
Throughout the process, VISTAs will draw on the marketing and technology knowledge and expertise of Chicagoland Habitat for Humanity and share success stories with VISTAs at other affiliate locations.