2019 Habitat Development VISTA
- (Summary) Help us provide families with stability, shelter, and self-reliance. Our Development VISTAs will make an impact by increasing donations to Habitat, with a focus on individual major gifts.
- (Program Description) Established in 1976, Habitat for Humanity operates in 1,400 communities across the United States and in 70 countries around the world. Our vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live: we bring people together to build homes, communities, and hope.
Established in 1998, Chicagoland Habitat for Humanity is a support organization for 8 Habitat affiliates located in Cook, Lake, McHenry, Kane, DuPage, and Will counties. We manage regional initiatives that increase revenue and reduce costs. Our goals are to raise awareness, grow capacity, and serve more families.
Development VISTAs will live near and serve at one of our 8 affiliate locations. After assessing their current fundraising program and drawing on best practices from Chicagoland Habitat, VISTAs will work with staff and board members to increase the number of donors and donations overall. VISTAs will develop procedures that will strengthen the moves management system, helping to move prospects along the engagement continuum towards solicitation.
We seek technology savvy college graduates who are adept in all forms of communication. We need organized team players who have the ambition to move our fundraising program from good to great. We provide training and guidance; you provide energy and ingenuity; and together we will strengthen our affiliates and increase their capacity.
VISTAs will learn that focused efforts can have a wide impact. Chicago has a reputation for sultry summers and challenging winters but working for Habitat will open your hearts and minds to the joys of helping families in need. VISTAs at our various locations will connect with each other regularly, visit the different sites, and attend regional trainings and events.
VISTAs will serve a full year starting in August or September. We will try to place VISTAs in their preferred county, but we have just one position at each affiliate office.
For more information, visit our website or email our recruiter.
- (Member Duties) VISTAs will have two objectives.
- Increase donations. VISTAs will work with affiliate staff to: identify and prioritize the affiliate’s needs; implement the fundraising plan; develop the FY20 fundraising calendar; measure success and revise the plan and materials as needed; and improve and revise the affiliate fundraising manual.
- Strengthen the moves management system. VISTAs will work with affiliate staff to: review donor screening and prioritize by capacity; develop procedures to cultivate high capacity potential donors; screen and rate donors with Board members and others; establish a Major Gifts Committee if appropriate; establish and facilitate regular prospect meetings; and move prospects along the engagement continuum towards solicitation.
Throughout the process, VISTAs will draw on the knowledge and expertise of fundraising professionals at Chicagoland Habitat for Humanity and share success stories with VISTAs at other affiliate locations.